Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Prayer - What is it Intended For?

What do we know of prayer?  The definition of prayer is simply put . . . communication with God.  Because God already knows our hearts, He knows what we are thinking and what we are feeling.  So prayer can be spoken words, written words, thoughts, or even songs.  Usually, when we have a relationship with another person, we have a way of communicating with them.  This keeps us connected in the relationship.  When we stop all communication, we usually wouldn't consider that we have much of a relationship anymore.  Maybe this is how God feels with us.  

I have been doing some reading and I came across some article that talks of how God really wants and desires to commune with us.  The article went on to say that prayer is one way of communing with Him.  Another thing the article hit on was how Prayer is not for us to selfishly pray and plead and beg God to do things our way or to give us what WE want, but it is more a way to honor and glorify God while spending time with Him.

This particular part really convicted me. Like I mentioned before, I am one that grew up being taught that God cared about EVERYTHING in our lives.  I still believe he does and I still pray for the small and big things, but I do think I have def. erred on the side of using prayer as a way for me to MANIPULATE God into working things my way. I usually start out with some praises and things I am grateful for, because we are supposed to come to the Lord with Thanksgiving in our Hearts, so I usually start that way.  However, I always tend to spend more time on the "asking God to do things for me or my family" part. 

So frustrating, but I have to be honest and admit when I am wrong. I guess over the years, I have sat under certain teachers that have spoke about how we can "prophecy our future in a positive way" and though I like the idea, I don't think that is what Prayer was really intended for.  I could be wrong, but who am I to think that if I keep speaking all the positives into my future, that life will turn out just the way I want it to?  I fear I have managed to error on the side of trying to manipulate God, and that isn't good at all.

I have often looked at prayer as a conversation I am having with God, however, when I am talking to a friend, I talk and then I wait and let them talk. I listen to what they have to say about what we are talking about.  However, because God doesn't verbally speak back to me in an audible voice, sometimes, I find my conversations with him are pretty one sided.  I don't always realize it because my mind is constantly in conversations with God, but I realize how very few times I stop to hear what he has to say.  For example, I often stop to listen and I promise Him that I am handing it all over to Him so he can work out a certain situation, and then sometimes within minutes, I think I have it figured out and I get all excited. I start to let my mind run with all the cool things I THINK God is doing and I go back into the one direction communication where I am doing all the talking.  :(

Now, I know that God speaks to us in different ways too. Sometimes through strong thoughts impressed on our hearts, or through his word, even through another spirit filled person speaking Godly wisdom.  Most of all, I believe God speaks to us through is Holy Spirit, and that can happen at any time of the day and even through the night, with dreams or thoughts. 

My Daily Devotions today was on Luke 18:1-8 and this kind of struck me too. . . .because I seem to think that a delay to my prayers being answered is a denial, but I don't think it is. 

Luke 18:1-8

New International Version (NIV)

The Parable of the Persistent Widow

18 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’
4 “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’”
6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8 I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”
So, even though, above I mentioned that we should not try and manipulate what we want God to do but just pray for His will, we also are to PRAY WITHOUT CEASING, taking it before the high judge.  So confusing since there must be a fine line of praising, asking and just trusting what He has in store.  I guess I gave myself a lot more to work on here.  Need to revamp a few of my usual prayers. :)




Matthew 21:22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”


Mark 11:24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.


John 14:13-14 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it


Philippians 4:6-7 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

























No comments:

Post a Comment